The Glamorgan-Gwent Archaeological Trust
GGAT is one of the four Welsh Archaeological Trusts, established in the mid 1970s with the object of educating the public in archaeology.
The Trusts are based on the county areas of Clwyd-Powys, Dyfed, Glamorgan-Gwent and Gwynedd. We provide a large range of archaeological and heritage services, including the management of the Historic Environment Record, undertaking archaeological research, excavations, survey, publishing reports, the production of advice, information, training and the presentation of knowledge. The Trust is an independent limited company with charitable status that employs professional archaeological and heritage staff.
GGAT are excited to be contributing to the renovation and conversion of the Wesleyan Chapel at Llantwit Major. The chapel was built in 1847 and was used for religious worship for over 150 years, but in recent years has been unoccupied and falling into disrepair. Regeneration Design and Management are […]
In 2006, GGAT undertook major archaeological excavations inside Cardiff Castle – which is the site of four sequential Roman forts and a medieval castle, the latter converted into a mansion by the Bute ironworking dynasty. The ‘post-excavation’ programme is ongoing, with analysis of the artefacts now nearly complete (visit our […]
The Glamorgan-Gwent Archaeological Trust was contacted by Dr Julian Whitewright, Senior Investigator (Maritime) at the RCAHMW, regarding two sites on the foreshore of Sully Island, Sully, Vale of Glamorgan. The remains had been uncovered by environmental and coastal action. Given their fragility, it was considered likely that a level of […]
SA12 Business Centre, Seaway Parade
Baglan Energy Park. Port Talbot